If you’re preparing to sell your Millburn-Short Hills home this fall, congratulations! With homebuyers eager to buy before mortgage rates and home prices continue to rise, you’ve got a good chance of selling your home fast. Plus, inventory is still relatively low, so you might get multiple offers.
It’s important to be familiar with the steps in the home-selling process before you’re right in the middle of it. BHG Real Estate shared a basic seven-step checklist for home sellers. As a New Jersey real estate agent, I’ll go into detail for you about each one:
1. Hire a real estate professional! Right away, you’ll create a trusting partnership with a professional, who can walk you through each step of the home-selling process. You’ll discuss market trends, recent sales, realistic expectations, timelines and next steps. You need to find a good match, so don’t be afraid to ask questions! As a Millburn-Short Hills real estate agent, I’m always willing to answer any questions you have.
2. Set price expectations. You and your agent can work together on this. Determine what you need to net from the sale. Find out what your home is worth. Have your agent share with you what other homes like yours are selling for in the Millburn-Short Hills area. Consider an appraisal, which will let you know if there is any damage that needs to be dealt with.
3. Declutter. This is a step that every home seller needs to take but that most dread. Over the years, we accumulate a lot of stuff! Potential homebuyer don’t want to see that stuff. They want to see a move-in-ready home that looks like a model. So clean out all your closets, cabinets and storage spaces and get rid of whatever you can. Make the home spotless.
4. Host a garage sale. This is a great idea for those of you who end up with a lot of items to get rid of after you declutter. Rather than just tossing them, you might as well try to earn some cash for them! This could be put aside for closing costs, moving costs or home repairs. Also, you could let garage sale customers know that you’re selling your home. They can spread the word!
5. Pump up curb appeal. Potential homebuyers see the outside of your house before anything else, so you want it to look memorable and inviting. Keep your lawn green and lush, but also mowed and manicured. Trim your trees and bushes. Plant blooming flowers in your gardens, or place flower pots on your front porch. Power wash your exterior. Hang a welcome sing on your front door.
6. Transfer or cancel utilities and insurance. You want to do this after you have a homebuyer or after you have bought your next home. You don’t want a surprise bill coming in the mail after you have moved out!
7. Get prepared for the closing. This includes bringing keys and remotes and other items that might not even cross your mind. As your New Jersey real estate agent, I can prep you for this and let you know what you need to do.
Selling your Millburn-Short Hills home is an exciting adventure! Let me help walk you through the process and support you every step of the way. Contact me!
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Visit My Website
See My Listings
Become My Fan on Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter
Add Me to Your Circle